Sunday, March 31, 2013

Ep 5 - Canberra Zine Emporium

 

This episode features zinemakers that were manning stalls at the Canberra Zine Emporium on March 23rd 2013 Australia's capitol. It was an amazingly sunny day and the music was out in abundance. Zines being sold ranged from the artistic to the downright weird and gross.. The event was being held as part of the You Are Here festival, a festival looking to expose the underground arts and culture of Canberra.
   

A list of who I spoke to are below:

Tasha, who runs A Zine Thing in Melbourne and also writes at Life As A White Picket Fence.

Emma co-runs Take Care Zine Distro based in Sydney and makes many zines herself.

Andrew Galan who, among many things, put together Franked with Paul Summerfield, a collaborative zine where art and words collide with Andrew and Paul swapping roles and collaborating with artistic people from Canberra.

Miko & Liz, who are members of the Perth Zine Collective.

Nat & Chiara, the organising co-ordinators of the whole Canberra Zine Emporium.

If you want more information, head off to the Emporium's facebook and twitter.

Below are some videos of bands that played at the event.


Zine Emporium from You Are Here on Vimeo.


Zine Emporium from You Are Here on Vimeo.


Zine Emporium from You Are Here on Vimeo.

Enjoy! Listen to the show in the player below, or subscribe via iTunes.

5 comments:

  1. Hey good show. How did you record this? One of those portable digital recorders? I couldn't see you trying to carry your laptop around and poke a microphone at people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I had a portable recorder which I borrowed off someone for the trip. Shure Mic and a Sony recorder whose name escapes me. I'm wanting to do more of these, so I may invest in one for myself soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should come to Adelaide next March for Adelaide Writer's Week. Could do a roving podcast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to. I actually intend to do more of these "roving" podcasts. The only drawback with doing them in another city is money, as I'm sure you're aware!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, shame. Never enough money! I'd like to be able to go LA and meet Catharine but sadly I cannot afford it!

    ReplyDelete